GALLERY: Cubs hold off Lumberjacks comeback bid

Photos: Sudbury Light Event Photography

SUDBURY, Ont. – The Greater Sudbury Cubs let a three-goal lead slip away, but managed to prevail in the end as they defeated the Hearst Lumberjacks 5-4 Friday in a Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League encounter at Gerry McCrory Countryside Sports Complex.

The Greater Sudbury power play provided the night’s initial tally saw them move into the Hearst zone where Cameron Shanks sent a cross-ice backhand over to Marshall McCharles who whipped in his first NOJHL goal as he fired a high shot over Lumberjacks’ starter Matteo Gennaro at 14:41.

Coming right back, the Cubs made it 2-0 with Pierson Sobush being set-up in front where he neatly lifted an attempt into the upper portion of the net.

Up a skater again, late in the session, Oliver Smith whistled a shot from the top of the right circle for the home side that flew past Gennaro.

Regrouping in the middle stanza, Hearst got on the board midway through when Andrew Morton notched his first NOJHL marker.

Roaring back early in the third, Hearst clicked on the power play with Tyler Patterson knocking one in from the top of the crease.

Moments later, the Lumberjacks drew level with Mason Bazaluk slamming in the equalizer during a delayed penalty while left unmarked in front.

After calling a timeout, the Cubs came back to regain the lead at 3:23 on another McCharles effort as he skated back between the hash marks and converted with a quick wrist shot.

Countering a minute and a half later, Hearst drew level once more compliments of Nicholas Jermolenko initial NOJHL goal as he lifted a shot over the glove of Greater Sudbury’s Nathaniel Boyes before he could get across to stop it.

However, Cameron Walker provided the game-winner with under eight minutes remaining for the hosts as he came off the bench on a line change, darted down the ice and while splitting the Lumberjacks’ defence, buried one into the right corner to secure the home ice triumph.